about us

overview

The House of Hope Atlanta was organized more than 137 years ago by a Sunday School and prayer meeting group. Today, The House of Hope Atlanta, located at 4650 Flat Shoals Parkway in Decatur, Ga., is ministering to five generations under the leadership of our senior pastor/teacher Dr. E. Dewey Smith, Jr. As The House of Hope Atlanta, we welcome those in metro Atlanta and beyond to join us as we worship God, share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others and execute the business of the Kingdom with excellence.

our history

Under the leadership of the first pastor, Rev. Sam Stinson, The House of Hope Atlanta was formed more than 137 years ago by a Sunday school and prayer meeting group. Rev. William Tillman (Father Tillman), pastor of Wheat Street Baptist Church, organized the church in May 1876.

Some of the former pastors include Rev. T. T. Gholston, Dr. Martin L. King Sr., Dr. Sandy F. Ray, Dr. J. W. Tate, Dr. Leonard Ashbury Pinkston and Dr. Hubert Floyd Shepherd.

Rev. Hubert Floyd Shepherd grew up in The House of Hope Atlanta. His preaching ministry began at the age of 17. He was extended the call to pastor the church in October 1957 and on October 27, led his first worship service as pastor. In December of that same year, Rev. Shepherd married Ivory Collins, and they began almost 50 years of service to the church. Children throughout the Edgewood community began to fill the church and their parents soon followed. The church's membership flourished so much that it moved on Sunday, December 2, 1973, from 119 Mayson Avenue to 2589 Tilson Road, Decatur, Ga.

The House of Hope Atlanta continued to grow and on Sunday, March 20, 1994, a ground breaking service was held to mark the start of construction on a new building. It was a day of rejoicing on Sunday, September 29, 1996, when the church relocated and dedicated its $8 million, 2,200-seat sanctuary at 2600 Whites Mill East (later renamed H.F. Shepherd Drive) in Decatur, Ga.

On March 26, 2003, Rev. H. F. Shepherd retired as pastor and The House of Hope Atlanta began its search for a new pastor. A pulpit committee was formed and commenced an eight-month search for a new pastor. In November 2003, God sent a Spirit-filled man in the person of Dr. E. Dewey Smith, Jr., and on December 21, 2003, he was installed as the 22nd pastor of the church. Pastor and Mrs. Smith, along with Kamari Elijah and Kylen Isaiah, are a blessing to The House of Hope Atlanta family. Under Dr. Smith's leadership, the membership roll has grown from several hundred to approximately 11,000. In August 2009, the church purchased a 60 acre, 7 building campus, featuring a 7,000 seat Neo-Gothic Cathedral.  Additionally, a myriad of capital improvements, enhancements and investments in the community have been made.


house of hope twitter feed

Connect With Us: Facebook Twitter

Powered by TAG STUDIOS

4650 Flat Shoals Parkway | Decatur, GA 30034

Contact Us: 404.243.9336 | info@gtrbc.org

© The House of Hope Atlanta, Inc. All Rights Reserved.